With the Super Bowl just around the corner, be sure to add a designated driver to your lineup.
The cold weather is here! If you’re out and about on your bike, here are a few tips to stay warm.
- Cover up – Most of your heat is lost through the head so keep it warm. A full face helmet prevents frostbite from wind chill. Wear a neckwarmer or scarf to cover exposed skin. Keep those hands covered too! Wearing gloves with a breathable, waterproof liner will keep the rain out and allow moisture to get out. Gauntlet style gloves will help cover the gap between the inner liner and jacket.
- Wear layers – Insulate your body. Wear synthetics closest to your skin, the layer with fleece or wool for insulation. Finally, your outer layer needs to protect you from the elements. Nylon is wind and waterproof, and its great for crash protection too.
- Stay hydrated and RIDE SOBER! – Alcohol lowers the core body temperature and often plays a role in hypothermia-related injuries and deaths.
Did you know that DDS offers FREE services for Veterans and Active Military? Before you head to your local center, be sure to check out the Department of Driver Services for details.
Press Release – Department of Driver Services (DDS) Commissioner Reminds Veterans & Active Military of Free Services
11/5/2015As we prepare to celebrate Veteran’s Day, Commissioner Rob Mikell, Department of Driver Services (DDS), reminds Georgia veterans and active military personnel of special licensing and testing services dedicated to them all throughout the year.
“Happy Veterans Day to everyone and especially to all the DDS team members who have served and continue to serve our great nation! It is because of your past sacrifices that we are able to enjoy all the freedoms that are abundant today,” Commissioner Mikell said. “Please remember to check online at www.dds.ga.gov before visiting our centers for special veteran services.”
DDS supports veterans and our active military several ways including:
- Offering free licenses and IDs for veterans (upon presentation of eligibility from the Georgia Department of Veteran Services).
- Providing specially designed patriotic driver’s licenses and ID cards for veterans (standard fees apply).
- Offering free licenses and IDs for active National Guardsmen upon presentation of eligibility from their command.
- Honorary Licenses/IDs for the spouse of a deceased veteran or the spouse of a disabled veteran who does not drive.
- Special testing exemption accelerates the licensing process for military personnel with commercial driving skills to obtain a commercial driver’s license (CDL).
- Special testing exemptions for troops and their dependents who have an approved military motorcycle safety program.
- Courtesy renewals by mail for active troops and their dependents stationed out of state.
- Fort Benning, GA is home to the first DDS customer service center located on a military installation; provides convenient licensing services to the approximately 120,000 military, reservists, retirees and civilian personnel who support the Base daily.
- DDS supports Governor Deal’s statewide ‘Hire a Georgia Veteran’ campaign to provide enhanced hiring opportunities for veterans and proudly employs over thirty veterans for all service branches.
Please visit www.dds.ga.gov for complete driver education, testing and licensing information including the convenient option to submit an application to DDS online before arriving for service to improve your wait time.